Tuesday 8 June 2021

West Highland Way

Fort William – Milngavie,   18th – 22nd May 2021

 

Introduction

 

The West Highland Way (WHW) is one of the three remaining national trails that would complete my collection of all nineteen such trails in the UK. I had booked to do it last year but my reservations were all cancelled in the light of the spring 2020 lockdown. I had envisaged an early revival of my plans but another lockdown and late opening of hotels kept me at home until well into May. If I had started a week earlier, I would have had to eat outside and face an 8pm curfew. So, on the very day that hotels could function normally again, I set off north from my daughter’s house after spending a weekend with my grandchildren. The plan was to place my car in Milngavie on Monday 17th May and to catch the lunchtime train up to Fort William, the northern terminus of the trail. I re-booked all last year’s accommodation based of a five-day north-to-south schedule.

 

After dropping off the car just a few minutes’ walk from Milngavie station, a train to Westerton connected with one to Dumbarton. I was in good time so I wandered into the town centre and sat drinking a cappuccino on a bench overlooking the river. Back at Dumbarton Central, I fell into conversation with a party of walkers from Sheffield who were also for the Fort William train. They had been advised to move the previous night’s hotel booking out of Glasgow to avoid the Tier 3 restrictions following a Covid outbreak. The train was on time and thus began a long gentle ride along Gare Loch, Loch Lomond and over Rannoch Moor, one of the great British train journeys.

 

The Fassifern bed and breakfast was basic but I found a great little pub on the High Street, the Grog & Gruel, which provide me with a wholesome meal of stag pie and chips and a couple of pints of Trade Winds (4.3%) from Cairngorm Brewery. I was ready for an early night in preparation for a challenging five-day walk.

 

Tuesday 18th May 2021                    Fort William – Kinlochleven

Beneath the Ben

 

I had a lovely cooked breakfast before setting off down to the High Street and the start/finish of the WHW. Soon after 9am I was striding back passed the station and Belfort hospital heading for Glen Nevis. It started to drizzle as I passed the original start/finish. I took a selfie in what turned out to be the only rain of the day, in fact, the only rain for more than two days. It was a long and rather dreary walk along Glen Nevis. It was eerily quiet, quite devoid of the normal spring rush of tourists and climbers. I really was one of the first to venture this far north after the lockdowns. The car parks were very sparsely filled, even the largest, Braveheart, which was where I knew I was close to the turn off into the Nevis Forest. A short uphill path led out onto a gravel forest road which climbed for several miles. The clouds had now cleared away and the sun was shining, offering great views back down the glen. At the high point on the track, I diverted for a few yards to visit the iron-aged fort of Dun Deardail.

 

On the south side of the pass, the track descended steeply beside the Allt nan Gleannan. I had all sorts of problems finding the high-level route to Blar a’Chaorainn. It was only later that I realised that the WHW is basically route-signed for south to north walkers and is not so easy to follow in the reverse direction. I made for the Old Military Road to avoid having to clamber back up the mountain-side and was soon back on route and gently ascending into a forbidding-looking mountain valley. As I turned eastwards into the valley of the Allt na Lairige Moire, I was amazed to find myself on a level track that passed straight through the mountains with the ridges of the Mamores soaring up to my left. I passed ruined farms in this remotest of situations and the traverse went without very much effort and far more quickly than I expected.

 

I fell into step with a couple who were, like me, heading for accommodation in Kinlochleven just a few miles ahead. This pair lived in Ayr, not far from my daughter, and their grandson played for the same junior football team as did mine. This was not to be the only incredible coincidence of the trip. Great views of Kinlochleven were to be had as we dropped down a tricky little descent on a rocky path into the village. On my way passed the pub, I called in to reserve a table for the evening’s meal then I continued to the far end of the village to gain my accommodation.

 

 

Fort William dep. 09.08, Kinlochleven arr. 15.45

GPS 17.61 miles in 6hrs 36mins 11secs walking time plus a 10-minute in the glen of Allt Na Lairige Moire.

I stayed at Tigh Na Cheo in Garbhein Road, a little out of town but I was pointed towards a short cut down some steps to speed me back to the Tailwinds Inn where I enjoyed fish and chips followed by stick toffee pudding. The beer was the ubiquitous Belhaven Best.

 

Wednesday 19th May 2021           Kinlochleven – Bridge of Orchy


The Staircas
e to Glen Coe

 

An 8am breakfast set me up for the early start that I felt was required to comfortably complete a 21-mile route. Stopping briefly at the Co-op to buy a sandwich and doughnuts, I return to the bridge at the centre of the village and walked up the south bank of the river. In some ways the start of the day was similar to yesterday’s, with a road and valley section followed by a climb up to a forestry track. This track wound around the hillside for three miles to gain the top of the pipeline feeding the hydro-electric power plant below. It was a relief to leave this track behind and take to an undulating footpath across the open moorland. After several stream crossings the path reached its highest point, a magnificent viewpoint looking over Glen Coe and Rannoch Moor. After several hasty photographs, I plunged into the long and spectacular descent of the Devil’s Staircase.

 

It was really warm in the shelter of the Glencoe mountains. I was glad I was wearing my sun hat, something I had not bothered to do yesterday leading to unexpected sunburn. Most day walkers were in shorts but I was stuck with the winter gear that I had pre-packed. The road in the valley floor was very busy and I was glad that an off-road path was provide across the bleak flat moor. Passing below the Buachaille, I asked two girls to take my photo in front of this iconic mountain. It was many years since I had ice climbed on this and the surrounding peaks. The view ahead opened out and the Kings House and ski centre were clearly visible some miles ahead. After a brief encounter with a Northern Irish man wearing a small teddy bear, I scooted across Rannoch Moor and out onto the old road and the famous Kings House Hotel. Here I sat in the sun eating a sausage roll and quaffing a superb pint of real ale.

 

I dragged myself away from this perfect setting and walked further along the old road until it crossed the line of the new arterial highway. I was tempted by another café at the ski centre but the route veered away to the south onto Telford’s road across the Black Mount, a glorious nine miles running parallel to the old military road of the previous century. Stopping briefly near Ba Bridge for an energy bar, the generally downward gradient brought me to Forest Lodge and the hamlet at Inverornan. A parties of walkers sat in the sun outside the country hotel, relaxing after a long day. But I still had a further 2 miles over a low ridge, before I could look down on my accommodation for the night. A steep woodland path descended to Bridge of Orchy. The white-painted hotel and surrounding cottages looked a picture astride the road below. At last, rather later than I had envisaged, I crossed the bridge and checked in at the rather imposing hotel

 

Kinlochleven dep. 08.43, Bridge of Orchy arr. 17.21 

GPS 21.59 miles in 8hrs 07mins 04secs walking with 25 mins at Kings House for a sausage roll and pint of Red Revival (4.3%) from Glen Spean Brewery, then 10 mins near Ba Bridge.

I stayed at the Bridge of Orchy Hotel. My meal was fish, chips and mushy peas. The draught beer was Bitter & Twisted (3.8%) from Harviestoun followed by a Schiehallion IPA on keg (4.8%).

 

Thursday 20th May 2021                  Bridge of Orchy – Inverarnan

St Fillan’s Priory

 

For the first time since Glen Nevis, the sky had clouded over. As there was no sun today, the sun-hat was stowed in the rucksack. But the rain was holding off as I left the hotel and walked up to the station and under the railway line. A wide track ran parallel to the railway, downhill for much of the way with magnificent Munros to the left. The railway crossed the walking route and set off on a wonderfully winding contour over a series of viaducts. The track, railway and main road came together at the head of a low pass. I almost missed the turn under the railway, the route not being signed at this point for the north-south walker. A steady stream of walkers passed me heading north and many commented that I was the only through-walker on the route going the ‘wrong way’. After a rocky section climbing up the hillside, I dropped onto what must have been an old road running beside the railway directly into Tyndrum.

 

It was too early in the day to a stop so I forwent the fleshpots of Tyndrum and continued on a poorly signed path around the edge of town. I was momentarily lost around Tyndrum Lower Station but got myself back on what I assumed was the correct route through a featureless heathland of regenerating woodland. After a mile or so of narrow paths, I emerged onto a wide track at a WHW finger-post. I followed this track to a bridge across a small stream and came upon a set of way-marker posts from a different direction. Less confusingly, there was only one signed route from this point so I was able to proceed with more confidence. Crossing a busy road on a northerly loop through some farmland chosen, I assume, to keep the walker off the road, I stopped at St Fillan’s Priory, an atmospheric ruin in a copse of trees. As I photographed the adjoining graveyard a drizzle began to fall, my first rain since the very start of my trip.




Back on the south side of the road, the WHW clambered up steep paths through a pine forest. The climbing seemed to go on forever. After three miles or more in an easterly direction, the ridge was crested and began to descend out of the forest. This tiring section ended with a steep drop to Crianlarich Crossroads, a major junction of footpaths. A superb path then contoured across the open hillside, eventually descending to the road and under the railway. The route down Glen Falloch was relatively straight forward, although a foot-bridge was missing at one point necessitating a diversion up and down the steep-sided valley. Views of the Falloch Falls were hard to obtain, so I hurried on to Beinglas campsite where I left the official route and sought my accommodation at a pub on the nearby road.

 

Bridge of Orchy dep. 08.40, Inverarnan arr.16.15

GPS 20.66 in 7hrs 36mins 13secs walking time (no stops), 20 miles on-route.

I stayed in the Drovers Inn, my bedroom being across the road in a rectangle of out-buildings.  My meal in the bar was chicken and veg, very disappointingly cooked and presented. The beer was Deucars IPA (4.4%). I retired to bed without a pudding.

 

 

Friday 21st May 2021                        Inverarnan – Balmaha

Beside the Loch

Breakfast times were either 7.30 or 8.30am. The earlier start was an attractive option so I slipped quietly out of my room and crossed over the main road to the pub on what the locals would call ‘a dreich morning’, drizzle from a heavily laden sky and little or no wind. Amazingly the couple in front of me were Peter & Joyce, members of my local running club who live less than half a mile away from me. We chatted long and hard through the full Scottish fry-up. They were on a 7 or 8 day south-to-north schedule a more gentle pace than mine. They warned me of the difficulty in keeping up a fast pace through the rocky sections on the eastern shore of Loch Lomond. Bearing this in mind, I made my excuses, retired to my room and quickly packed my rucksack.

 

I was well on my way through the Beinglas camp site and back onto the WHW before 8.30am. Progress was fine at first. The rain had stopped and the path undulated through pleasant grassy fields. Then suddenly the character of the route changed. The steep hillside ahead dropping straight into the water and was traversed through a jungle of tree roots and rocky scrambles, mostly on an uncomfortable gradient. At one point near Rob Roy’s Cave, I found myself climbing huge boulders high above the water. The time seemed to melt away and the 2.5 mile an hour schedule that I had set myself seemed more and more impossible. But all things, good or bad, come to an end and the underfoot conditions gradually improved, the pace increased, and I exchanged words with two girls who had been swimming in the loch. Suddenly, there was Inversnaid in all its splendour. It was much bigger than I expected, a fine building operating as a hotel in its own grounds.

 


It was still too early in the day to have a refreshment break so I pressed on along a less taxing part of the loch-side path. Even this had its moments though as rocky ups and downs had to be negotiated. There was a route choice at one point and I went for what looked the easier and faster option, a wide track that climbed high above the loch. This re-joined the lakeside path near Ptarmigan Lodge from whence a good track led to Rowardennan, a peaceful little hamlet with lovely views along Loch Lomond. The weather was fast improving and the day was getting warm. Dehydration was becoming an issue that I had not thought possible at breakfast-time. I was much happier with my pace on this section but the efforts of the morning and the increasing heat were taking their toll. I was seriously tired when I arrived at Rowardennan Hotel. Joy of joys, the Clansman Bar was open for business and I was certainly ready for a bite to eat and a chance to slake my thirst. A snack and drink disappeared in record time and I was thankfully then to be able to face the last leg of day.

 

The route to Balmaha started through open forests, native trees rather than pine plantations. It was not short of a few climbs and I was approaching my pre-stop level of exhaustion as I reached the road that was to take me to Balmaha. The daily mileage was adding up to more than the guidebook had indicated and, even though I missed out a gratuitous loop round a headland, I clocked 1.5 miles further than expected. It may have been ½ mile back onto route in the morning but otherwise I added nothing to the official route so I suspect that the 21-mile distance given in the guidebooks was at least a mile under actuality. I was very relieved to reach the lovely harbour at Balmaha and see the huge oak tree shading my target for the night. The hotel behind the tree was worth all the effort.

 

Inverarnan dep. 08.19, Balmaha arr.17.40

GPS 22.48 in 8hrs 46mins 27secs walking time with a 35min (14.30-15.05) stop in the Clansman Bar of the Rowardennan Hotel for a tuna & mayo wrap and 1½ pints of Belhaven Best.

 

I stayed in the Oak Tree Inn in Balmaha. I was delighted with their recommendation of the lasagne and really enjoyed a couple of pints of Conich 4 lager (4.0%) from Williams Bros. of Alloa. An apple pie and ice cream supplied a nice conclusion to a lovely meal.  I retired early to my attic room in the roof of an outbuilding with a great view over the loch. I loved this inn.

-

Saturday 22nd May 2021                  Balmaha  – Milngavie

Conich Hill and the Highland Boundary

 


The morning was a beauty. The view from my roof window over the loch filled me with enthusiasm for this, my last day. I packed before breakfast and was able to enjoy a leisurely ‘full Scottish’. I called at the village shop for my sandwich lunch. I was back under a sun hat as I crossed the car park opposite the pub and located the start of the good quality gravel path up  Conich Hill. Magnificent views over Loch Lomond opened up as I gained height. There were several very steep sections to struggle up but I finally pulled myself onto the summit and asked a couple to kindly photograph me at this amazing viewpoint. I was standing on the Highland Boundary Fault Line, the line that divides the volcanic rocks of the highland mountains from the softer soils of the lowlands. Conich Hill and the line of islands across the loch illustrated this perfectly. Then I turned my back of this corner of paradise and descended to the east.

 

A wide track, mainly flat, threaded its way for four miles or so through Garadhban Forest leading eventually out onto a very busy road with fast moving traffic, A path running behind a hedge kept the walker away from danger; then crossed the road about a mile before Drymen. A field-path led to a long section of quiet lane where I sat briefly on a bench to eat a snack bar. The lane brought me to the course of an old railway. Here I turned south along the disused line and towards the prominent peak of Dumgoyne at the end of the Campsie Hills. The whisky distillery at its foot was an old friend, having terminated one of my LEJOG sections at this point several years earlier.

 

The line of the railway was blocked by the largest terminal moraine I have ever seen, a conical lump across the gap in the hills. A good track led round the impasse and out onto a road for a short while before turning into a beautiful track alongside Craigallian Loch. The finish was in sight and the number of walkers noticeably increased. I could hear children playing in the surrounding woods and the wildness melted away to parkland and civilisation. Suddenly I was there, at a huge notice board describing the West Highland Way. A lady who took my photograph pointed out the way into the main street in Milngavie shopping centre. Here was a monument to the route, the southern terminus. After more photographs, I retreated out of town to retrieve my car.

 

Balmaha dep. 09.02, Milngavie arr. 16.20

GPS 19.49 miles in 7hrs 07mins 48secs..

 

Conclusion

 

I had completed my 17th National Trail, my 3rd in Scotland. I had amazing luck with the weather, the north getting much better weather than back home which was having the wettest May for many a year. I had walked, with the off-route excursions and conservative mileages, a total of 102 miles which, for a five-day trip, I was pretty satisfied with. All I had to do now was find the Clyde Tunnel and I could head south to see family and friends.

No comments: